Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Young Hearts

It's Throwback Wednesday  on one of my favourite radio stations!

I love to listen to oldies because they are usually witty and clean music. They make me think, laugh, cry, sing along.

Today, one particular song grabbed my attention - 'young heart run free' by Candi Staton. This song is essentially telling young women to guard their hearts with all their might and enjoy youth without being bogged down with families and relationship problems.

Many teenagers yearn for adulthood so that they can be free. However, once they become adults, many young girls start focusing on finding the perfect mate. Finding the perfect mate, however,  is not the most important thing at the early stage of adulthood.


Early adulthood should be a time for enjoying life and its new freedoms. It should also be the time you hone your skills into careers and find out exactly who you are as an individual.

In western cultures, usually young men 'run free', while young women seek out ways to 'tie themselves up' with another person. I find this to be such a strange phenomenon. No wonder many men think of marriage as losing their freedom. 
Why don't young women 'run free' too? I certainly am. I never had the urge to tie myself to another human being and stifle him or her. I'm like a fox in a forest, just doing my own thing, running free.



In a more direct sense the song is saying don't settle for relationships that make you unhappy and unfulfilled. The first line of the song says 'what's the use of sharing this one and only life, ending up just another lost and lonely wife?'

Seriously, life was meant to be so much more than being a lost and lonely wife. I don't want to wake up someday thinking that I devoted my life to another person and I regret it.

How about we all live our lives devoted to ourselves, achieve the most we can and share it with others. If I have a husband and children, my life shouldn't become devoted to the single mission of raising children and being a wife because that will make their every mistake mine as well. It doesn't allow them freedom to grow and be themselves without worrying about me.

That sort of burden should not be placed on a husband or child.

Children should grow up seeing their parents, relatives and friends striving for success and realizing their dreams. Children should not grow up hearing that their parents have given up everything for them so they should be grateful. The child was not a part of the decision making process to create itself and so it should not be held responsible for its upbringing.

Anyhow, back to the song, it says many things but one very inspirational line says 'self preservation is what's really going on today'. Preserve yourself, don't let anyone trample all over you, because, in reality all you really have is you. 


Young Heart Run Free
~Candi Staton~

What's the sense in sharing
This one and only life
Endin' up just another lost and lonely wife
You'll count up the years
And they will be filled with tears
Love only breaks up, to start over again
You'll get the babies, but you won't have your man
While he is busy loving every woman that he can, uh-huh
Say I'm gonna leave a hundred times a day
It's easier said than done
When you just can't break away
(when you just can't break away)
[Chorus:]
Oh, young hearts run free
Never be hung up
Hung up like my man and me
My man and me
Ooooh, young hearts, to yourself be true
Don't be no fool when love really don't love you
Don't love you
It's high time now just one crack at life
Who wants to live in, in trouble and strife
My mind must be free
To learn all I can about me, uh-hmm
I'm gonna love me, for the rest of my days
Encourage the babies every time they say
Self preservation is what's really going on today
Say I'm gonna turn loose a thousand times a day
But how can I turn loose
When I just can't break away
(when I just can't break away)

Lyrics' Source: http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/candi_staton/young_hearts_run_free.html
Picture sources:
www.45cat.com
www.deviantart.com
www.thedandelions.co

No comments:

Post a Comment