Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Economics Majors and the Real World

How is it possible to be an Economics Major and not be interested in what's happening in the Euro zone now? I read about it in the newspapers sometimes, but I don't form economic opinions about what I read. I simply read because I don't want to be totally clueless about this big economic problem. I know that the Euro is in trouble and that the effects of the recession are far from being over. But the specifics are not committed to my memory.

I would love to honestly be able to say that I'm more interested in Development Economics than Financial Economics, and that's the reason I lack interest in Europe's issues. But if that were the case, I would be up to date on all the Development issues in the world. I didn't even know that the world population hit the 7billion mark on November 31, 2011 (at least, I think that's the date).

I keep thinking that it's embarrassing to be pursuing higher education in economics without any real interest in what is happening in America or Europe. Generally,  I don't engage in economic discussions because I don't feel passionate about the topics or I don't want others to know that I am not as smart in Economics as they are.  Is there something wrong with me? I prefer the economics practised by Levitt (in Freakanomics).

No comments:

Post a Comment