Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Not so tourist friendly

After traveling around a bit, I've realized that Jamaica is not very tourist friendly even though so much of the foreign exchange comes from that sector. These are a few things that I think would improve the country's tourist friendliness:

-A large percentage of the population trained to function  in a few other languages (at least Spanish and of course proper English is compulsory)
-Maps of each town situated at several points in the towns. 
-Tourist information centers in at least the central areas of the cities 
-Public buses that go to and from the airport on time 
-Upgrade the Jamaica Tourist Board's website to include tours, prices, recommended courses, recommended sightseeing activities, etc.,.
-Cheap hostels for backpackers,
-Homestay programs


Jamaica is an island paradise with neighbours who speak English, Spanish, French and Dutch; however, Jamaicans are not forced to learn any language apart from English. That doesn't make sense from an economic and cultural point of view. If we could communicate with more of our neighbours, we would be able to get more of them to visit for tourism and investment.

In regards to the maps, a lack of town maps means that locals and tourists may get lost easily if they are not familiar with the territory. It may be a good thing to get lost sometimes and stumble upon unexpected things, but I would prefer if that didn't happen simply because there was no map to guide me. I know that country maps can be bought in bookstores and at gas stations, but I am suggesting that more detailed maps of specific towns be sold or erected in central areas of each town. (Also making maps in other languages available would also be a plus.)

Tourist information centres have helped me a lot while travelling. They are filled with brochures, maps, and personnel to assist with your inquiries.

Airport transportation. I know that there are some private companies that offer transportation services to and from the airport, but their information is not widely available and there is no central terminal for such vehicles. Now that I type, I think there are some government buses that go to and from the airport but I'm not sure.

The other things on my list are self explanatory, I think. The JTB's website should be more useful for tourists, cheap accommodation for backpackers would invite a different type of tourist to our shores and homestay programs would promote cultural exchange in a very intimate way.

No comments:

Post a Comment