Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Criticism

People who pursue higher education willingly put themselves in a position of vulnerability. They conduct research then submit at seminars and conferences in order to receive criticism. I always remember the professor who was laughed at by another professor at a conference I attended. It's important to receive criticism, but can we manage it if it's not what we expected or if it makes us look stupid? 

I don't know how to handle it well. I always leave presentations with a host of emotions swimming inside, making me seasick because of all the internal activity. I've been thinking all afternoon about my last presentation, yet there is no real consensus on what it is I'm really feeling. 

Are my propositions true? Are they testable? Will I fall flat on my face? This business of criticism is really critical to a graduate student's growth, but it's nerve racking, to say the least. I believe only confidence in work output can put these nerves to rest. However, that is definitely something i need to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment